One-Day Virtual Training
All trainings are held 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Central
6 Clock Hours Available
Cost is $895/participant for training and manual bundle.
Call 1-800-328-9000 to register.
In every community, we all want to believe that positive inner voice saying, "A school shooting, a natural disaster, a fire—or any other life-altering event—will never happen here." But the harsh—and often unspoken—reality is that it could happen anywhere, to anyone.
So where do we go from here?
It's critical to focus efforts on creating positive school environments while simultaneously creating and supporting traumatic event prevention measures. Build trusting, collaborative relationships among students, staff, administrators and community members by implementing Preventing, Intervening, and Recovering from School Shootings and Other Traumatic Events, a proactive, research-backed prevention, intervention and crisis response plan.
I've purchased Preventing, Intervening, and Recovering from School Shootings and Other Traumatic Events. Why should I invest in specific training?
We understand that your promise to improving safety measures and trainings is a serious commitment. This comprehensive training will help you uphold that commitment while also effectively aiding your community in preventing, intervening on and responding to traumatic events or crisis situations.
During this training, a prevention specialist will guide you through the manual, preparing you to administer the program and share your expertise, making your community feel more prepared to handle various traumatic situations.
- Recognize the components of an effective school-wide prevention and crisis response plan.
- Understand how adverse childhood experiences impact adolescent responses to childhood traumas, in both positive and negative ways.
- Create a comprehensive school safety plan at the local level that identifies and engages local prevention resources and best practices for responding.
I haven't purchased Preventing, Intervening, and Recovering from School Shootings and Other Traumatic Events. What is it?
This manual provides practical guidance for developing a comprehensive prevention plan and crisis response to a school or community traumatic situation. Based on research and emerging best practices utilized at dozens of schools across the country, this essential blueprint includes:
- Prevention activities
- A plan for intervention during a crisis
- Guidance for helping individuals and communities recover after a tragic incident
- Community-based approaches to reduce gun violence
I have access to free resources. What makes this one different?
This comprehensive guide provides the in-depth steps you need to prepare your school or community for any traumatic event by:
- Saving you significant amounts of time by providing emergency plans for anything your school or community may face
- Checking off state requirements
- Providing a comprehensive plan to address components before, during, immediately after and long-term recovery from traumatic events
- Detailing in-depth steps for every stage of the process
- Listing what is needed, who needs to be involved at different levels and action items
Call 1-800-328-9000 to register.
Jim Adams, former CEO at the Geauga Board of Mental Health and Recovery Services
Author of Preventing, Intervening and Recovering from School Shootings and Other Traumatic Events
As CEO of the Geauga Board of Mental Health and Recovery Services, Adams is responsible for designing, implementing, funding and overseeing mental health and substance use services for over 12,000 clients. He is an expert researcher, lecturer and consultant on trauma preparedness and response and an avid advocate for the prevention of school and community violence.
In response to the 2012 mass shooting at Chardon High School, Adams developed a unique short and long-term mental health recovery plan for victims of mass school shootings. He has been nationally recognized for this community-based, minute-by-minute trauma informed recovery plan, implementation model and research findings on school and community trauma response. The guide—Preventing, Intervening and Recovering from School Shootings and Other Traumatic Events—has been utilized in schools and communities around the country.
Questions, ADA requests can be emailed to Prevention@HazeldenBettyFord.org