- Call us any day, any time
Support for families of addicts
Addiction recovery is stronger when family members are involved. Addiction is a disease that affects the entire family. Parents and siblings also experience consequences of their young loved one's alcohol or other drug use.
Studies show that recovery is stronger and more effective when family members are educated and involved in the addiction recovery process. At Hazelden, we involve parents and siblings in that process. The Sibling Program provides a foundation of education, support and practical tools to empower siblings as they journey on the path of family recovery.
A powerful tool of the Sibling Program is the support brothers and sisters will receive from other siblings that have family members dealing with similar situations. This intimate peer contact combined with the licensed professionals, provides a positive and affirming experience. The program is open to all siblings, whether or not they have a brother or sister currently in alcohol or drug addiction treatment at Hazelden.
The Sibling Program is designed to run concurrently with the Parent Program so parents and siblings can attend their programs at the same time. Brothers and sisters and attend the Sibling Program even if they do not have a parent(s)in the Parent Program.
Through lectures, videos, small-group discussions with other siblings, participants gain knowledge and practical skills to support the addiction recovery process. Through the program, siblings will:
- Understand the disease of addiction and its impact on the family
- Learn about the effects of alcohol and drug use on their siblings
- Build strength and foster resilience in siblings of addicted young people
- Gain support through interaction with other siblings, and realize the benefits of establishing a support network
- Learn how to be supportive of their brother or sister when they return home from treatment
- Plan for continued self-care and recovery
2013 Program dates:
- Aug 4-7
- Aug 25-28
- Sept 15-18
- Oct 6-9
- Oct 27-30
- Nov 17-20
- Dec 8-11
- Dec 29-Jan 1
- The Sibling Program is offered once every three weeks. To schedule a time to participate contact the Hazelden counselor that is working with your son, daughter or sibling.
As a nonprofit organization, Hazelden relies upon your contributions. Donate now and help change lives.Donate