Implement Teen Intervene
- Interested in learning how you can implement the Teen Intervene program in your school or community?
- Learn more
- Hazelden Publishing
- 15251 Pleasant Valley Road
- P.O. Box 176
- Center City, MN 55012-0176
- Business hours:
- 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (Central Time)
- Monday - Friday
- 651-213-4793 fax
- email us
Need to take a closer look at a teen's alcohol or other drug use?
A three-session, individualized brief intervention program
Designed specifically for youth who are experiencing mild to moderate problems associated with alcohol or other drug use, Hazelden's Teen Intervene Program provides education, support, and guidance for teens and their parents. Through this brief intervention model of care, youth work one-to-one with a Hazelden counselor in identifying and changing their choices and behaviors.
Helps young people learn to make healthier choices
Maybe they've been caught drinking or smoking marijuana. Maybe they are beginning to experience problems at school or home as a result of their alcohol or other drug use. They aren't addicted, but some type of intervention is needed. Hazelden's research based Teen Intervene Program helps youth identify the reasons they have chosen to use alcohol or other drugs, examine the effects of substance abuse in their lives, and learn to make healthier choices.
Because Teen Intervene is designed to help youth who have experienced mild to moderate substance abuse, an assessment must first be completed to rule out a chemical dependency diagnosis. This assessment may be completed by Hazelden or another program. If the assessment is completed by a program other than Hazelden, a 60-minute introductory session with a Hazelden counselor is held to discuss program goals and expectations.
Providing a personalized approach
Each young person has his or her own reasons for using alcohol or other drugs and individual teens differ greatly in terms of their willingness to change. By focusing on individual goals and personalized feedback, Teen Intervene effectively addresses each young person's specific needs. Based on the brief intervention model, Teen Intervene consists of three 90-minute sessions with a Hazelden counselor.
The admissions process for Teen Intervene:
- Referral- Anyone who is concerned about a teen's chemical use can refer him or her to Teen Intervene. This could be a parent, school professional, law enforcement official or a concerned person. To begin the process or to obtain more information, call 800-257-7810.
- Assessment- Teen Intervene is geared to help teens who have experienced mild to moderate chemical use. A chemical use assessment must be completed to rule out a diagnosis of addiction. The assessment may be completed at Hazelden or another program of your choice.
- Program Sessions- The program consists of three 90-minute sessions with a counselor. The first two sessions occur one-on-one between the teen and the counselor. Parents are invited to join the third session to address issues as a family.
Hazelden offers Implementation Training to ensure the fidelity of the program. Learn more.