Healing Trauma+ is a newly revised evidence-based six-session trauma intervention designed for people who have experienced abuse and trauma. Our understanding of gender has shifted from the binary male-female model to a more inclusive and expansive model. This third edition of Healing Trauma is now entitled Healing Trauma+: A Brief Intervention for Women and Gender-Diverse People in order to reflect the changes in this new edition. We have expanded the definition of gender responsive to include the experiences of transgender and nonbinary people. This new material has inclusive pronouns, as well as examples of traumatic events and focus questions specific to this group.
This six-session (90-minute sessions) gender-responsive curriculum for women, transgender and nonbinary people is designed for settings in which a short-term intervention is needed. Examples are a community-based program, such as a mental health center; an addiction treatment program; a private practice setting; a correctional facility (jail or prison); and an agency addressing domestic violence.
- Foundational information for facilitators
- Current statistics about abuse and other forms of trauma
- The latest discoveries, publications, and insights in the field; particularly neuroscience
- Lectures and activities for the participants that reflect current thinking and practice
- A variety of yoga poses, grounding activities, and self-soothing activities
The curriculum uses psychoeducational and cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) techniques, expressive arts, body-focused exercises, mindfulness, and relational therapy.
What Are the Program Components?
includes a reproducible facilitator guide and a reproducible participant workbook (in both English and Spanish) on a USB or in a digital delivery format. The facilitator guide contains background information about trauma and session outlines that are similar to lesson plans. The six sessions in the program are:
Save money by bundling Healing Trauma+ and Exploring Trauma+. Learn more.
- Session 1: Welcome and Introduction to the Subject of Trauma
- Session 2: Power and Abuse
- Session 3: The Process of Trauma and Self-Care
- Session 4: The ACE Questionnaire and Anger
- Session 5: Healthy Relationships
- Session 6: Love, Endings, and Certificates
You may also be interested in:
Dr. Stephanie S. Covington
is a nationally recognized clinician, author, organizational consultant, and lecturer. She has developed an innovative, gender-responsive, and trauma-informed approach to the treatment needs of women and girls that results in effective services in public, private, and institutional settings. Learn more about Dr. Covington and her other publications.
*Video subtitles are available in English and Spanish.
Healing Trauma is an evidence-based, gender-responsive, six-session (90-minute sessions), brief intervention trauma program for women. The program includes workbooks in English and Spanish.