Select a category below:
- Why do I need to set up an account?
Establishing an online account with Hazelden assures you that your purchasing information is secure, confidential and accessible to you. Once you establish an account, you will only need to sign-in to
place an order in the future, check on the status of your current order, view past purchases or update your profile information.
- Can I check the status of my order online?
- Yes. If you are signed into your account, click on Order History in the header to review your open order status.
- How do I use a promotional offer online?
- During the checkout process, you will see Have a Promo Code? Simply enter your promotion code in the field provided and click apply to your order.
- Do I need a credit card or debit card to order online?
- We require either a credit or debit card as method of payment. We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. However, if you have an established Hazelden business account authorized for Purchase Order use, a Purchase Order number is acceptable (see more below).
- Do you accept purchase orders?
Yes. You must be registered on our site as a business or organization. We do not accept purchase orders from individuals or groups. If you are
using a Purchase Order, all orders over $500 require a hard copy Purchase Order faxed to 651-213-4793 with the online order number from your confirmation page referenced on it. All orders placed are
subject to the regular credit review process to verify credit status before orders are shipped.
Please call: 1-800-328-9000 (U.S. and Canada). Business hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Central Time, Monday through Friday.
Download and print the order form then you can either mail or fax it to us.
Hazelden Publishing P.O. Box 176 Center City, MN 55012-0176. Use this address for orders ONLY. For returns, see section below (Shipping, Returns & Taxes).
651-213-4590. Our fax line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Does Hazelden have distributors outside of the United States?
Hazelden has one distributor. Their shipping costs can be significantly lower if you are purchasing from or are shipping outside of the United States. For more information or how to order
- *Free standard ground shipping offer only valid in the lower 48 contiguous states.
- *$50 minimum order
- Only valid with online orders.
- Some exclusions apply. Not valid with any other offer.
- Not valid on"special order" items.
- We suggest that you white list / allow communications from two email addresses:
Information from our bookstore is communicated through a do not reply email of: firstname.lastname@example.org.
this is for online registration, order updates, order confirmations, and password resets.
- All other communications are sent from: email@example.com
- The best way to locate a product in the online bookstore is to use the Product Search functions located in the top navigation area of the bookstore. If you need further help, call us at 1-800-328-9000.
- If you are looking for information on other Hazelden services or programs, type a keyword in the Search box in the upper right corner of any page on the Hazelden website. If you have a product catalog, you can order items by their item number in Online Quick Order.
- Just fill out Request a Catalog form, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us at 1-800-328-9000.
- When you place an order, you will automatically receive a catalog. If you wish to discontinue receiving Hazelden catalogs or email, you can update your information on your Preferences (if you are Signed into the site) or contact us.
- Moved? Changed your name or your place of employment? Keep Hazelden in the loop by updating"My Account". Just Sign into your account and update your information.
- Yes. Hazelden provides Internet security by:
- Hosting our site on a secure server. No other company or organization shares the server we use to store information.
- Creating secure areas of the website for the transfer of confidential information such as your credit card number in our Online Bookstore. When using Internet Explorer, for example, you'll know an area of the site is secure when you see a lock in the bottom left corner of your screen.
- When cookies are disabled, you may experience difficulty retaining your shopping cart or your session status. To change or check your cookie status, go to your browser's Tools menu.
Consumer or Individual orders, may qualify for free standard ground shipping. Your free standard ground shipping will be calculated once the shipping type is selected and the items in
your cart that qualify for free shipping total $50.00 or more. The final shipping charges appear on the final screen of the checkout process.
---Please note this is for the lower 48 United States. This offer is not available in AK, HI, or Canada.
- Allow East states 2-3 business days, Central states 3-5 business days, West states 7-10 business days. Orders are shipped from the state of Wisconsin.
- Transit times for Express methods are based on the shipment date, not the ordered date. Freight refunds for service level failures will be provided only if a freight carrier's delivery policy is not honored.
Holiday Season Reminder: Buy Early, Ship Early
- If you choose standard shipping for your order and wish for it to arrive before December 24, we recommend placing your order by December 15 if you reside in the lower 48 states.
- For areas outside of the lower 48 states, it is recommended that you choose a faster shipping method.
- Monday - Friday by 2:00 p.m. -- Ships the next business day
- Sunday after 4:00 p.m. -- Ships on Tuesday
- Monday - Friday by 2:00 p.m. -- Ships the same day
- Monday - Friday after 2:00 p.m. -- Ships the next business day
- Saturday and Sunday by 4:00 p.m. -- Ships on Monday
Consumer Order Returns
- If for any reason you are not satisfied with your order, return it to us within 90 days from the date of purchase. Please include a copy of your invoice or packing slip with the items.
- Note: Freight charges are not credited on returns or exchanges. Products returned must be in new resalable condition. Products purchased as sets must be returned as a full set for credit to be given. To help us serve you better, write a brief note on the back of your invoice to explain why you are returning the materials and if you would prefer to exchange the item, credit your account, or receive a refund. Special order products are not returnable and some products such as software are not returnable once opened.
Return items by an insurable and traceable method to:
Lakeside Book Company
Attn: Hazelden Returns
677 Brighton Beach Rd.
Menasha, WI 54952
Business Order Returns
- If for any reason you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, simply call us at 1-800-328-9000 within 90 days of purchase to speak with your sales representative to receive your Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) for returns of $500.00 and greater. This number will need to appear on the outside of your package on the address label.
- Note: Freight charges are not credited on returns. Products returned must be in new resalable condition. Please include a copy of your invoice or your packing slip with the returned items. Products purchased as sets must be returned as a full set for credit to be given. Special order products are not returnable and some products such as software are not returnable once opened.
- Hazelden Publishing is required to charge tax for the following (AR, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, NC, ND, NE, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OK, PA, RI, SD, TN, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV, WY, and Canada. Texas for nonprint items only.
- Each year, Hazelden Publishing reaches out to more than 200,000 under-served people through the Hazelden BookAid Program, providing recovery and self-help books and resources to individuals and agencies in need
- In recent years, excellent programs have been hard hit, suffering deep cuts in governmental and foundation aid. As a result, BookAid receives weekly requests for free resources from chemical dependency programs, educational institutions, churches, nonprofits, and social and criminal justice organizations
- BookAid is run entirely by volunteers and depends upon donations from businesses, Hazelden alumni and staff, and our customers. Hazelden authors also have the opportunity to give by agreeing to give the royalties they earn from their books directly to people in need
- Shop the online store and choose a dollar amount between $10.00 and $75.00 to donate to BookAid at checkout.
Call our development office at 1-888-535-9485 to offer a donation, or send a check made out to Hazelden BookAid to:
Treasury Services RW 7
PO Box 11
Center City, MN 55012-0011
Read first-hand accounts from those who have benefited from Bookaid:
From a woman in early recovery: "Amazingly, I received the wonderful books that you sent to me today, Saturday! I had thought they would arrive on Tuesday, so this was a small miracle. That you arranged for them to be donated and sent quickly is a confirmation that joining AA and not drinking, one day at a time, is the right thing to be doing. I so appreciate your warm wishes; this makes me feel so wonderful. Thank you very much; I know this will help my recovery greatly."
From a staff member at an adolescent treatment center: "Just to give you an update, the kids have been going after the books you sent like tigers after raw meat. The biggest problem is that some of them are hiding the books so they won 't have to give them up to the next person. I have one kid who has read six of the books you sent, cover to cover. Every time I see him, he wants to know if I have another book he can read on recovery. I am rotating the books from kid to kid as fast as the one who has a book will relinquish it.
"The staff has also borrowed several of the books. It is almost harder to get them to bring books back than it is with the kids. Several therapists have reported that the kids are starting to discuss what they are reading with them. Two are now using A Gentle Path through the Twelve Steps with severe abuse victims.
"Again, I can't tell you how much good your gift has done and is continuing to do. It is possible in June that we may get some more resources. If that happens, I will definitely be using it with Hazelden."
From a Hurricane Katrina survivor: "Thanks so much for the Hazelden materials you 've sent me. My home flooded during Hurricane Katrina and there have been many deaths and suicides in my community. Despite what you see on the national news, it is desolate here--the closest thing to a third world country in the U.S. Recovery is slow in New Orleans. The libraries flooded and have not yet been rebuilt. My husband and I are living in our flooded house. The material you've sent me has helped me tremendously!"
From a chaplain's clerk at a state correctional center: "I am a recovering alcoholic, an inmate, and serving as the Chaplain 's Clerk. I am writing on behalf of the Chaplain's office in appreciation of the recent donation of the recovery materials that you have sent the institution. We have a library containing spiritual books, audio cassette tapes, and video tapes that are made available to our residents. We also have scheduled AA and NA meetings during the week and we sincerely appreciate donations that help individuals who are seeing a new and different way."
From the executive director of a suicide prevention foundation: "Thanks so much for the generous donation of the Dying to Be Free books Hazelden gave us to support bereaved families. Your generous contribution will help those who have lost a loved one to suicide cope with the devastating trauma of that loss. As a 'survivor' myself, I know that books--especially those written from the heart and from experience--can be so beneficial."
From a women in recovery: "While words are not even sufficient, they will have to do: Thank you so much! Recently you sent me the 12 Step Workbook and the 12 Step Prayer Book. They are extremely helpful for my personal daily program. I too am a firm believer in 'paying it forward.' When I am able, I will certainly contribute what I can to BookAid. Keep up the great work you do!"
From the director of a women's treatment center: "Thank you so much for the recent donation of inspirational recovery literature. Your generous donation ensures the women and children we serve will be well equipped for beginning their lifetime of recovery. Thank you for supporting us with your donation and for your belief in the work we do."
If you are an individual or work with an agency or organization in need and would like to apply for assistance from BookAid, download our simple application.
Hazelden Publishing creates products for the prevention, treatment, criminal justice, behavioral healthcare, and consumer markets. If you have a proposal or manuscript that you would like Hazelden to consider for publication, these author guidelines will help you get started.
- Read the guidelines and FAQs listed below.
- All submissions must be submitted as digital proposals, typed and double-spaced. Email a digital copy of your proposal to: email@example.com. We no longer accept mailed submissions or hard copy manuscripts.
- Literary agents or representatives should also send inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Prospective authors working directly, without an agent, must send proposals hard copy, via mail, to the address listed at the end of the FAQs.
- Due to the quantity of manuscripts and proposals we receive each year, Hazelden Publishing is unfortunately unable to reply to every submission, query, and request for feedback that we receive. While we are unable to confirm each proposal, we do review every manuscript our team receives as an electronic submission.
Before submitting, we encourage you to first familiarize yourself with our products, and to do some research on how to write a non-fiction book proposal. There are a number of resources available online and in print on book proposals that can help prospective authors with the task of writing a non-fiction proposal. For a complete listing of what we publish, visit our online bookstore or browse our online catalogs.
For consideration, a complete proposal should include two main items: a cover letter with a product summary; and a detailed chapter outline along with three sample chapters.
Your cover letter should contain the following information:
- Overview: What is the general content and objective of your work? What do you intend to accomplish?
- Audience: Who or what professional is most likely to purchase your work?
- Market: Why is your intended proposal needed in its market?
- Competition: What competing publications are currently on the market? How is your work different from them?
- Author information: Provide information on yourself and your qualifications, including previous writing or relevant experience, and previously published works.
Hazelden publishes engaging content that helps build recovery in the lives of individuals, families, and communities affected by alcoholism, drug dependency and related disorders. In addition, its publications and services are intended to meet a full range of needs for professionals -- counselors, educators, doctors, clinicians, researchers, clergy, and others -- who work with individuals with substance use and mental health disorders. Hazelden publications support Twelve Step philosophy and other evidence-based therapies that offer a biopsychosocial approach to address the needs of the mind, body, and spirit.
Hazelden publishes content in multiple formats: print (books, pamphlets, workbooks, and curricula), multi-media (video, audio, CD-ROM, Web), e-publishing, in person or online training, and webinars. Our publications are sold to bookstores, treatment and mental health programs, hospitals, schools, churches, correctional facilities, government and military agencies, counseling agencies, and online.
Hazelden editors look for innovative material for professionals that addresses issues relevant to substance abuse prevention, treatment, continuing care, and recovery, as well as mental health and related clinical and educational issues. We publish in multi-media formats for both professionals and their clients that reflect state-of-the-art instructional design, appropriate reading levels, engaging graphics and formatting, and gender and cultural inclusivity. Our books for consumers address topics related to recovery from substance dependence and other addictions, family and relationship issues, spirituality, mental health, and Twelve Step programs.
Hazelden discourages submissions of poetry, fiction, personal stories, memoirs, dissertations, children's books, and art. We also discourage proposals for music and video.
Hazelden Publishing seeks submissions for special projects at times and is currently accepting submission for crowd-sourced meditation anthologies for our popular Hazelden Meditations Series. Instead of relying on the expertise of a single author, Hazelden Publishing is asking the public, including service members and veterans in recovery from addiction and sexual trauma survivors, to help write upcoming volumes in its bestselling series of self-help meditation books. For more information, or to contribute,visit hazelden.org/writeyourown.
Once received, your proposal will be screened and forwarded to an editor for review. The review process may take several months, during which time an editor will evaluate your proposal based on editorial, marketing, and philosophical criteria. The purpose of such evaluation is to determine whether your proposal fits with our editorial mission, market niche, and product plans.
We are dedicated to ensuring that every proposal is reviewed; to maintain that commitment, due to the number of submissions we receive each year, we cannot confirm receipt of each proposal, offer individual feedback, or put prospective authors in touch with agents. Our editorial staff may only follow up on proposals we are interested in publishing.
- My material is already self-published, or published by another publishing house. Do you distribute already published material?
- While we do distribute a small number of externally produced products, we are not actively reviewing and acquiring already published material at this time. This may change again in the future, but at this time, we are not picking up products for distribution.
- Have you ever published an unsolicited manuscript?
- Yes, some of our most successful books started out as unsolicited proposals.
- Will anyone read the proposal I send in?
- We receive thousands of proposals each year, and each one of them is reviewed because we truly appreciate the unique connection we have to our audience, and the work each individual puts into a proposal.
- I emailed my proposal weeks ago, but I haven't heard from anyone. What should I do?
- We thank you for your patience. Due to the volume of manuscripts we receive, we are unable to verify receipt of unsolicited submissions. We will contact you if it is something we would like to pursue.
- How long will it take for an answer?
- It can take months to assess the proposals we receive. As a small publisher, we may only reach out to prospective authors when editors have determined that their proposal suits our publishing plan and market needs. If one of our editors is interested in your proposal, they will be in touch with you.
- What happens if you accept my proposal?
- When manuscripts are accepted for publication, authors are generally offered a royalty contract, according to the type of work and the market it serves. All manuscripts are subject to editing, and most products are in development for two years before publication.
- Do I need an agent?
- We are proud of the fact that you do not need a literary agent to represent your work; however, our editors work with a wide network of agents.
- I haven't heard from anyone about my proposal. I assume that means it wasn't accepted. Can I get feedback on why and how to make it different?
- We'd love to be able to give feedback on all the proposals we receive, but unfortunately, due to the volume of proposals we receive, we are unable to be in touch about every manuscript.
- I write articles and blogs in the health space, will Hazelden Publishing look at them?
- At this time, we do not publish externally produced articles and blogs.
- My proposal is ready. Where do I send it?
Send all proposals electronically to: email@example.com.
For your conveience you may download this same guideline document in PDF format here.
Thank you for your attention to these author guidelines.